Friday, March 4, 2011

The other side of the street

This week has been a week of revelations for me. I have learned more this week than I have in a long time. It started Sunday while I was at bible study. A very wise person said to us that as Christians we need to be more compassionate to those who don't believe. Not so quick to judge. The very next day, I was getting ready to go running when I noticed my neighbor sitting on her porch. I walked across the street and began visiting with her. I am calling this the view from the other side of the street because of this visit.
During our conversation I mentioned to her that I was thinking of cutting down the old elm tree in my yard. Those of us who live in SO. East Colorado know that elm trees are a real pain. She asked me to sit on her porch swing with her. I sat down and my eyes were opened. She said to me, "look at that tree. It is the only symmetrical elm I have ever seen. Not only that but when it buds out and the leaves are green it is so beautiful." Most elm trees are just a jumble of branches but this one was different.
So as I was reading my bible and doing my study this morning, the Lord spoke to me. He revealed that I tend to look at others the way I was looking at that tree. As just a pain, something to be dealt with. I didn't see the beauty of God's creation. Beautifully and wonderfully made. I didn't look at them from the other side of the street. I now hope to be the other side of the street type of person from this point forward and I pray that others can be this way too. Be a person who can see things from the other side of the street. And thanks to God and my neighbor for opening my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Thats beautiful. I think your neighbor is a very special person to me.

    ReplyDelete