Thursday, March 24, 2011

How do you speak???

Proverbs 18:19 "A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city."

As a Christian, I must be very careful how I speak or act towards others. You may ask why, but the answer is simple. My words and actions are a representation of my Father. The way I behave and speak towards others can have a direct affect on how they feel about God.

I am learning that my attitude affects this greatly. If I have a bad attitude or I hold a grudge against someone, I in turn will reflect it towards others. This will leave a poor impression of me and of the God I serve. If I snub someone because they do not fit into my idea of how to act, dress, or speak (sing), or if I speak bad about them, I am falling into the trap of the evil one.

Satan wants us to have bad feelings towards others. He wants us to gossip, spread lies, and to feel they are beneath us because they don't fit into our mold. The mold we test everyone by. The mold that tells us if they are worthy to be our friend or not. If they don't look or act like us, they are not worthy to be in our presence.

How ridiculous this sounds but if each one of us looks at ourselves and we are honest, we have all done this at one time or another. I am guilty and unashamed to admit I am but this attitude is wrong. There is one who came to show us the right way to behave towards others, Jesus. He is the perfect example of how we should treat others.

He touched people no one would dream of touching, he loved those no one would love. He ate with people that others had deemed unclean, not worthy to even wipe His feet, but Jesus saw their worth. Throughout the new testament we read how Jesus had the right attitude and how His actions followed. We see God's work through Christ and an example of how each one of us should act.

It is hard to get past ones self to accept people from all walks of life. Once you let Jesus in and let Him rule your heart the unfit will become fit in your eyes. When you take yourself out of the equation and let Jesus in, you will find yourself in the company of those you once looked down on. You will be blessed beyond belief. You will love those you once thought unlovable.

When you do this you will have a peace in your heart. You will find yourself able to forgive and be forgiven. Your lips will only utter kindness and mercy. Prov. 18-21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue." With a word you can build up or tear down. Which will you choose today?

I choose to build up but know in my human nature at times I will fail. Daily I will give my speech to God to use as He wills so that I will only speak words that edify others. And daily I will ask for forgiveness for the times I have failed.

God Bless your day.

1 comment:

  1. See the power of positive thinking within you. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete